Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 20 Oct 2017
  • Personal Injury

What should I do straight after a car accident?

Following any accident, the safety of yourself and any other people in the vicinity is the top priority. If required, ensure that the relevant emergency response team is called and follow the directions of any police, ambulance or fire officers.

Once you are sure that you and any other people involved are safe, there are some things you should do at the collision site, including:

  • Ensure you make a note of the registration number of any other vehicles involved in the accident.
  • Ensure you get the name and contact details of the driver of any other vehicles involved in the accident.
  • If there are any witnesses to the accident, obtain their name and contact details.
  • If police are in attendance, ensure they give you a copy of the Vehicle Collision Report number.

If you are seriously injured and are taken straight to hospital by ambulance, the police will obtain the details of all other persons involved in the collision so you do not need to worry.

Once you have left the collision site, there are some other things that should be done as soon as possible including:

  • If you have not been taken to hospital, ensure you seek medical attention for any injuries associated with the accident. It is best to do this as soon as possible after the accident.
  • Whether you attend hospital or your GP, ensure they record all injuries that you have experienced, no matter how minor you may think they are.
  • If the police do not attend the scene of the accident, ensure that you report the accident to the police as soon as possible. All drivers are obligated to report any motor vehicle accidents where injuries occur. This obligation applies to each driver, whether or not they think they are at fault.
  • You should take photos of any damage to your vehicle before it is sent for any repairs and keep any invoices or quotes for repairs.
  • You should also take photos of your injuries including any bruising, cuts or abrasions or swelling.

There are important time limits that you need to be aware of to ensure your rights are not lost. You need to lodge a claim form with the CTP insurer within 6 months of the accident. Following this, there are other important deadlines that you cannot miss.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, we recommend speaking to one of our personal injury lawyers to ensure you get the right advice early. DBH Lawyers offer an obligation free first interview for those who have suffered injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident.  Contact DBH today by free calling 1800 324 324 or send us a message.