Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 20 Oct 2017
  • Personal Injury

I got food poisoning at a restaurant, can I sue?

Many of us are no stranger to suffering from food poisoning after dining out, but when does food poisoning change from an uncomfortable few hours or days, to something you are entitled to receive compensation for?

There are many different forms of food poisoning. Salmonella however, is much more harmful than your average food poisoning and is one to watch out for. Salmonella, much like food poisoning causes vomiting and diarrhoea and often lasts longer than one week.

Salmonella poisoning can require hospitalisation and in some cases can lead to lifelong problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Reactive Arthritis.

If you have:

  1. Contracted food poisoning after eating out at a restaurant; and
  2. The effects have lasted longer than one week

You may be entitled to compensation.

What should I be doing?

  1. See your local doctor immediately.
  2. Tell your doctor where you ate before you started experiencing vomiting and/or diarrhoea
  3. Ask to be tested for salmonella.

Salmonella will show up in blood tests and stool samples. It is important to get tested soon as possible to prove your case.

If you test positive for salmonella, your doctor will notify SA Health. SA Health will investigate where you believe you contracted salmonella poisoning. Often a number of other people have also contracted salmonella.

What compensation you may be entitled to receive:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Past and future loss of income
  • Past and future care and assistance provided to you
  • Past and future medical expenses

DBH Lawyers have successfully managed a number of salmonella poisoning class actions, including the Nippy’s Salmonella Outbreak and Intercontinental Hotel Salmonella Outbreak.

If you are suffering from food poisoning or salmonella poisoning after eating out, free call DBH Lawyers on 1800 324 324 or send us a message for advice on whether you may be entitled to receive compensation.