Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 13 Sep 2017
  • Personal Injury

I was sexually abused as a child. Will this prevent me from bringing a compensation claim as an adult?

Over the years we have assisted hundreds of people with claims for compensation as a result of sexual abuse when they were a child.  The claims have been brought against individuals, the government, churches and various organisations. We are often told that burying the memory of the abuse and not talking about it is how the person has dealt with the effect of the abuse.  Many years go past before the person is ready to discuss bringing a claim for compensation with a lawyer.   Time limits apply to bringing compensation claims and so the issue at that time is whether the person is legally able to bring a claim for compensation. 

Legislation in South Australia provides a three year time limitation for personal injury claims if the injury occurs while the person is an adult.  If the injury occurs while the person was under the age of 18 years, the three year period does not start until the person’s 18th birthday.  That means the injured person has until their 21st birthday to bring a claim.   There is legislation in South Australia that allows an application for an extension of time to bring a claim in certain circumstances.   Historically, South Australian Courts have allowed extensions of time. A Court has allowed an extension of time for a sexual abuse survivor, nearly 30 years after the time limit expired.

We have experienced lawyers who can provide advice as to whether that legislation applies to you and whether you will be able to make an application for an extension of time to bring your compensation claim.

Contact Katie Sajatovic or Matt DeGregorio at DBH Lawyers on 08 8231 3668 to make an appointment to discuss your entitlements to a compensation claim.

Click here to visit the DBH Lawyers Sexual Abuse page for further information.