Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 17 Dec 2021
  • Personal Injury

I would like to make a claim for compensation as a result of sexual abuse when I was a child – what evidence is needed to establish that claim?

People working at a table

A person’s education, employment and personal life is often significantly affected as a result of childhood sexual abuse. That person may be entitled to bring a compensation claim for pain and suffering, loss of earnings, loss of superannuation benefits and treatment.

With any compensation claim it is necessary to provide evidence of the impact caused by the abuse.  We are very experienced in putting together compensation claims for childhood sexual abuse.  We know what evidence needs to be obtained, how to get it and how to present it in a way that will maximise the success of your claim.  We will assist in obtaining all of the necessary information and evidence needed to make a claim so as to make the process as stress-free as possible.

It will be necessary to demonstrate that an injury has occurred as a result of the sexual abuse. A person who has been subjected to sexual abuse as a child will often have suffered long term psychological effects of the abuse. It may however be that the impact of the abuse has never been reported to a professional.  It is not necessary for you to have received long term counselling or assistance in order to bring a claim for compensation.  We will arrange an assessment with an independent psychiatrist so that a report can be obtained addressing any psychiatric injury suffered as a result of the abuse.  That report can then be used in support of your claim for compensation.

Every person’s story is different.  We will discuss with you how the abuse has impacted on your life in order to assess a claim for pain and suffering.  Childhood sexual abuse almost always causes some impact on a person’s ability to work.  We understand that the extent of the impact will be different for everyone and so we will discuss with you how your claim for loss of earnings should be assessed.   We will assist in obtaining any available documents and information to support your claim for loss of earnings.

It is important that you seek legal advice regarding any entitlement to compensation as early as possible so that the process of gathering evidence in support of the claim is easier.

Over the years DBH Lawyers have assisted hundreds of people with claims for compensation as a result of sexual abuse when they were a child.   We have a senior female and senior male lawyer experienced in bringing compensation claims for victims of abuse against individuals, the government, churches and other organisations.  This means we can accommodate a request for either a female or male solicitor to discuss whether you are entitled to bring a claim and for that lawyer to then manage your claim to its final resolution.

Contact Floyd Bakewell at DBH Lawyers on 08 8231 3668 to make an appointment to discuss your entitlements to bring a compensation claim.