Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 20 Oct 2017
  • Personal Injury

“I have just injured myself at work. What do I do?”

Unfortunately, workplace injuries do happen.  Workplace injuries can include a minor cut to a finger which might require stitches, a broken leg, lower back pain requiring physiotherapy, psychological symptoms – the list is endless.

If you have sustained an injury in the course of your employment, and you require time off work or treatment, there are a number of steps that you should take, including the following:-

  1. Reporting the incident to your manager or supervisor at your earliest convenience.
  2. Seeking medical treatment.
  3. Lodging a ReturnToWorkSA Claim Form. This is accessible from the ReturnToWorkSA website – 
  4. Obtaining a ReturnToWorkSA Work Capacity Certificate. This is different from a standard medical certificate which your doctor might give you for a common cold or flu.
  5. Lodging the ReturnToWorkSA Claim Form and Work Capacity Certificate with ReturnToWorkSA.

If your claim for workers compensation is accepted, you will be entitled to compensation which can include:-

  • medical expenses,
  • weekly payments, and
  • possible lump sum payments for pain and suffering, and future loss of earning capacity.

If your claim is rejected, it is extremely important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible, and in any event within one month of the date of receiving the letter advising that your claim has been rejected.

For more information about lodging a workers compensation claim, or workers compensation matters generally, contact DBH Lawyers by free calling 1800 324 324 or send us a message.