Skip to content

DBH Lawyers

- 20 Oct 2017
  • Family Law

Enforcing family law property orders – How do you make the ex pay?

Sometimes either because of deliberate disobedience, or because finance falls through, property settlement Orders need to be enforced.  A well written property settlement Order will have a deadline for payment and consequences if payment is not made. 

Those consequences might be interest from the date payment is not made and/or forcing the house or other assets to be sold to make the payment.

If you have a financial Court Order and it has not been obeyed, you should get advice from an experienced family lawyer such as those at DBH Lawyers.  They can advise you about your options including going back to Court.

If you go back to Court to enforce the Order, the Court will usually order your ex to pay your legal costs.

The Court can compel your ex to sign documents, or even in extreme cases appoint you or another person to sell the house or transfer a business on their behalf.

The best protection is to make sure that your property settlement Order is drafted by an experienced family lawyer who can anticipate any problems from the outset.

DBH Lawyers would be happy to help you with enforcing your financial Orders.  Book a no obligation appointment with a DBH Family Lawyer by free calling 1800 324 324 or send us a message.